Saturday, January 10, 2009

Let's Check the Mirror

II Corinthians 3 is a good reminder to us that as we live out the ministry of parenting (or any ministry God has placed us in, for that matter), we are to be "mirrors"...reflectors of God's character....to the world around us, or, as parents--to the children in our homes.

Verse 18 (NLT) tells us:
"And all of us have had that veil removed so that we can be mirrors that brightly reflect the glory of the Lord. And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like him and reflect his glory even more. "

So, how's my mirror?

Does my overly-annoyed tone-of-voice about accidentally spilled milk tell my children that they are a burden to me...and to God? That I am...that God is...easily angered?

Does my inconsistency...with loving discipline, with my Bible reading, with physical exercise, with keeping the house clean...tell my children that I am...that God is...not consistent, not dependable, and ever-changing?

Does the fact that I'm "too busy" to stop and give the homeless woman across the street some food...tell my children that I am...that God is...not concerned with the poor?

Does the fact that we consistently run late getting to church on Sundays...tell my children that I...that God...does not truly value the assembly of the Saints?

Does the fact that I watch television shows with foul language and inappropriate content "after the children are alseep" (but they are really wide-awake in the next room!!!) ...tell my children that God has a different set of standards for adults than He does for children?

Does the fact that my house is a mess right this minute, when all three of us know nothing shows Daddy more honor (according to him) than when he comes home to a clean house...tell my children that I don't...that God doesn't...value my spouse or marriage?

*****

WOW! That's an overwhelming list of things I need to work on! Praise God for His Word, where He tells us, in II Corinthians 3, verses 5-6, and 16-17:

"It is not that we think we can do anything of lasting value by ourselves. Our only power and success come from God. He is the one who has enabled us to represent his new covenant....
But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, then the veil is taken away. Now, the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, he gives freedom. "

So--Lord Jesus, today I turn to You...please empower me by Your Spirit...remove the veil, and help me to live a blameless life, before You and before my children, that they may truly see Your glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment